my burogu

How it's going, like.

Thursday, May 11, 2006

And so....it begins

I'm gonna start a blog to keep anyone who's interested up to date(ish) with what I'm doing in my life.

Last week, there were 3 days of bank holidays on Wednesday, Thursday & Friday. So naturally, it was time to get out of town and drive off into the Japanese countryside.

A large proportion of Iida’s English teachers arranged a camping road trip to Noto Hanto. Noto Hanto is a peninsular on the north coast of central Japan. It sticks out into the Sea of Japan and is one of the county’s least densely populated areas.

Early on Wednesday morning, we (Kayo, Ben and me) set off in Kayo's Pajero mini. Our destination was not too far away in terms of distance - maybe 200 miles - but with Iida being in the middle of the mountains - we didn't arrive until 5pm. The evening was spent setting up camp, followed by beach barbeque. During the rest of the holiday we onsened, ate lots of sashimi, massive crabs, and generally had a delightfully relaxing time.

Noto Hanto is a very beautiful area. The sea is crystal clear, the mountains green, and the rice fields diligently cared for. However, the main thing that makes it a little different from other areas of Japan I've visited is the peace and quiet. There’s much less concrete and far fewer garish pachinko parlours than anywhere else I've been in Japan so far. We also saw some wonderful sunsets from the western side of the peninsular. I would highly recommend a trip if you get the chance.

sunset

And so....that's my first blog post.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home